A Story of God's Love - Page 8 of 20
Father Brand did not underestimate the vital role of the laity in the development of parochial life:
The parish and school continued to flourish during the seven years of Father Brand's pastorate.
However, Father Francis Brand's apostolic work was not confined solely to St. Henry Parish in Charleston. He regularly attended the needs of Catholics in New Madrid - where he built a parochial residence. At Caruthersville and Cooter he held services regularly. Westward he went as far as Poplar Bluff servicing the Catholics there. He visited Belmont, East Prairie, Birds Point, Texas Bend and Sikeston, celebrating Holy Mass in private homes.
Excerpted from St. Henry Parish 1873 - 1973.